Got a question about a career in adult social care? Take a look at our frequently asked questions and answers. If you can’t find the answer you’re looking for, then please get in touch.

Can I work a career in adult social care around my family and home commitments?

Yes. The range of roles in adult social care mean that it is generally possible to find something that works around the times you’re available, or the locations near to you.

What does a care worker’s role involve?

A care worker has a variety of responsibilities, and a desire to help others is key. You could be supporting people in a residential setting, or those who need additional help to live independently. View the case study stories to see a day in the life of a variety of workers in the care sector.

How can I start my career in adult social care?

Head to our health and social care vacancies page to see if there’s a role you might like to apply for.

What sort of roles are available in adult social care?

There is a wide range of adult social care roles available, everything from an Activities Coordinator, care worker, personal care assistant, rehabilitation support worker, registered setting manager, catering, admin roles, HR roles or managerial roles. You could be working with adults with learning disabilities, be a waking night support worker, be a self-employed home helper, a business administrator, or even a Head of Care Commissioning.

Can I work my way up through a range of care roles?

Yes. On-the-job training allows you to progress in your career at a pace that suits you.

What skills and qualifications do I need?

Your qualities and outlook are generally more important than having specific qualifications. On-the-job training and ongoing support can help you to progress in your career.

What graduate positions are available?

There are a range of positions that are suitable for graduates, however a degree or further education is not necessary for most roles.

What training is available?

Training is provided on-the-job so you will be fully supported to learn everything you need to know, and you can earn while you learn.

Is there on-the-job training available?

Yes. Particularly for entry level positions to help you develop your career in care.

Does it cost me money to get trained?

Not usually, as usually training would be on the job. You may also be sent on specific training e.g., you may need to attend a First Aid course, and this would generally be paid for by your employer.

Do I need my own car?

You do not need your own car, but access to a car can be an advantage if your job location is not near public transport, or if you work at a range of locations or in the community (for example community support worker).

Do I need a driving licence?

Not necessarily it depends on the role and the location.

What about car insurance?

If your role requires you to use a car to get there or to get between jobs, then your car will need to be insured for business purposes – your employer will advise you about this.

Do I need to be medically trained?

No, you would require basic training in first aid. Further training may be required if you may be called upon to administer medication.

Can I work around school times?

Yes. The range of roles in adult social care mean that it is generally possible to find something that works around the times you’re available, or the locations near to you.

Can I be self–employed?

This is most likely if you have a specialist role.

Can I do an apprenticeship in care work?

Yes, its totally possible to do an adult care apprenticeships, so you can earn while you learn. Visit www.skillsforcare.org.uk to find out more.

How much does care work pay?

Check out our range of health and social care job vacancies. There are roles at all levels from £9.50 per hour for a trainee support worker, £16,000-£20,000 per year for a SEND Learning Support / Teaching Assistant to a head of department at £50-£60,000 per year.

What benefits come with the role?

Job packages will often include a contributory pension, paid training, your uniform, sometimes a health care plan, and of course any out-of-pocket expenses.

Is care work a public sector role, or is it private?

There are opportunities within both. Most care providers are private companies and charities; however you could also work for the local authority.

Do I need to be a British national to work in care?

No, but you may need a visa in order to come to, or stay in the UK to do an eligible job in adult social care. You must be able to speak, read, write, and understand English. You’ll usually need to prove your knowledge of English when you apply. Find out more at www.gov.uk

How far would I have to travel to any work?

Placements can vary depending on the type of job you are doing. You may be working in a residential home or travelling around the local area providing care in people’s homes. There are a range of opportunities around the county, so please check the social care job vacancies page.

Do I have to be over a certain age to work in care?

Most roles recruit from age 18 upwards. Many people enter the care sector from another industry or after having a family, or come back to care later in their working career, so it really doesn’t matter what age you are.

What are the benefits of a career in care?

A career in care is of the most in-demand and rewarding roles in the UK right now.

You will be making a difference every day.

You have the opportunity to train as you earn.

You have access to ongoing career progression, training opportunities and support.

Long-term employment prospects, and job security.

What kind of job security does the sector offer?

Due to Herefordshire having an aging population, and increasing demand for care workers in other areas, there are plenty of opportunities across the sector.

How long would it take for me to begin a career in adult social care?

As soon as references and your DBS is clear then you can generally start very quickly. Your own circumstances would be discussed with you.